Even though you’re an expert with numbers, you might freeze when you read the job description for an accountant role because you know you need to write a standout Accounting CV and cover letter. Being invited to an interview in the competitive field of accounting is a major accomplishment and its your CV will help you get there.
How to Write an Accounting CV?
It’s critical that you comprehend the proper format when writing an accounting CV. Although hiring managers don’t like generic CVs, they nonetheless expect a particular format that is simple to scan. Here is a CV template that you may use, but first, let’s look at the proper organization.
At the beginning of your accounting CV, the necessary personal information is what hiring managers expect to see. Your full name, email address, phone number, and address should be provided. When completing online job applications, you could be required to provide additional information, such as your gender, birth date, and marital status, but only if specifically requested.
Accounting CV Bio
This is possibly the most important section of your resume. Employers typically decide at this point if they want to continue reading. Give yourself a two-sentence summary. It can be difficult to convey your best professional qualities in 50–60 words, but you must succeed.
Accounting CV Skills Section
List the qualifications that make you the best candidate for the position in this section. For example, possess strong IT skills, including knowledge of how to use the necessary programs. The hiring manager will examine many CVs, so you need to make sure yours stands out by writing something unique.
The following are the top accounting skills are in demand by employers in Ireland:
- Experience with SAP and Oracle systems,
- Experience working with a multinational, or big 4
- Post-qualification experience.
Include Hard & Soft Skills on Your Accounting CV
An accountant must possess a wide range of skills. The secret is to just highlight your greatest skills that are relevant to the job description. Make a list of your hard and soft abilities before preparing your resume. Pick those who are most pertinent to the job description next. The following are a few of the most in-demand accounting skills:
- Critically Thinking
- Analysing Skills
- Time Managment
- Systems Research
- Communication Skills
Education & Qualifications
Hiring managers need proof that you put in the effort in your schooling. Ensure that the most recent qualification is listed first. Include information about your Chartered Accountant status after receiving your Bachelor’s degree, for instance. Professional qualifications are quite important for an accountant’s cv.
It is typically not required to add more than three jobs because space is at a premium. It is also better if you only include positions that have duties and abilities that can be transferred to the potential future employment. You can omit the brief period you spent working as a sales clerk and payroll accountant in the local off-license.
Interests and Hobbies
The CV’s least significant section, it shouldn’t make or break your application. However, it is still a good idea to dispel the myth that accountants lack personality. Additionally, it gives you a chance to fill in any knowledge gaps. You might, for instance, demonstrate your leadership abilities by demonstrating your role as a successful sports team captain.
Employers have been known to request up to four references on applications! Only professionals, educators, and employers should be listed in this section. Include the person’s name, job title, phone number, and, if available, the address of their company. You may also simply put available upon request and provide these details when you accept the job offer.
Accounting CV Example
Qualified Chartered Accountant (ACA), currently working as a Financial Analyst in Boston Scientific. Previously trained in PwC Corporate Audit department and as a Financial Accountant in Apple. Keen interest in the aviation industry, having studied the industry during my masters and worked on aviation clients in PwC.
Institute of Chartered Accountants Ireland (2016-2019)
ACA – Qualified Chartered Accountant
University of Limerick (2015-2016)
MSc in Asset Management – 2H1
University of Limerick (2011-2015)
Bachelor of Commerce – 2H1
St. Mnuchin’s (2006-2011)
Leaving Certificate – 480 points
Bostin Scientific Jan 2022 – Current
• Responsible for setting up budgeting and forecasting templates for capital investments.
• Developed and automated financial models through Power BI dashboards.
• Present trending and variance analysis to the Board of Directors monthly.
• Supported the drawdown of the IDA grant and R&D tax credit.
• Developed monthly accrual forecasts for capitalisation, tax and revenue.
• Prepared and presented ROI analysis on technology projects and warehouse purchases.
Apple Cork Jan 2021 – Jan 22
• Perform KPI analysis on revenue trends driven by the current market conditions.
• Preparation and presentation of flux analysis to management comparing QoQ movements.
• Responsible for timely posting of accounting transactions ahead of quarter end & preparation of balance sheet recs on a quarterly basis.
• Projects: co-ordinating & implementing process automation to create efficiencies.
• Ensure compliance with US GAAP accounting rules along with SOX compliance.
• Responsible for posting journals daily and preparing rebates to customers.
• Strong knowledge of SAP and Microsoft Office suite. Currently developing Tableau skills.
• Providing timely support to auditors.
• Developing strong relationships across multiple teams – tax, market finance & project managers.
PwC Philadelphia May 2020 – Jan 21
Assistant Manager (Corporate Audit)
• Awarded secondment to PwC Philadelphia office due to excellent ratings across all assigned engagements.
PwC Dublin Oct 2016 – May 20
Assistant Manager (Corporate Audit)
• Experience working as an audit senior. Completed all aspects of auditing financial statements including planning and fieldwork in line with US GAAP and IFRS.
• Planning and discussing audit approaches with relevant Engagement Managers and Engagement Leaders in advance of audits.
• Preparation of client communication documentation for presentation at board meetings.
• Keeping Engagement Manager/Partner informed as to the progress of the audit and any issues arising.
• Managing time efficiently to ensure all tasks were completed to meet group reporting deadlines.
|Italian Management Company (IFRS)
|-Experience leading the group reporting and statutory audit of 2 entities with multiple subsidiaries. -Based on job performance on other engagements, selected to lead challenging first year audit. -Performed substantive testing over key areas including revenue, payroll, intercompany, liabilities, PPE & cash.
|US Management Company (US GAAP)
|-Completed three years as a team member, leading the statutory audit of 7 EMEA entities. -Audited balances including revenue, payroll, intercompany, operating expenses, liabilities, accruals and PPE. -Audit senior leading and coaching a team of 4 junior team members across entities in Ireland, US, UK, Hong Kong and Japan.
|London Real Estate and Private Equity Firm (IFRS)
|-Completed four years as a member of the team, with responsibilities growing each year. -Co-senior leading an audit team of 8 with tight group-reporting deadlines. -Performed valuation testing on real estate, private equity and recalculations of performance fees. This involved reviewing discounted cash-flow models, co- ordinating with PwC corporate finance department and reviewing client valuation reports. -Provided coaching to junior staff and delegated audit work amongst team members.
Davy Stockbrokers Mar 2014 – Aug 2014
• As part of my Commerce degree, I undertook a 6-month work placement in the private client’s wealth management division supporting Davy Select and intermediary clients.
• IT: Proficient user of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Power BI and Alteryx.
• Tutor: based on job performance, chosen to tutor new associates in PwC, helped prepare content of the course and presented to a group of 60 people over 3 days.
• Sport: Golf – Handicap of 1, Hurling
• Full and clean driving licence.
References available on request
Need Some Help With Your Accounting CV?
Martina Quinn Finance Recruitment specialises in the placement of qualified accountants up to executive level nationwide. Our teams have extensive experience (67 years combined) in recruiting in the Irish Market. We help you find the right accounting job that matches your experience and needs.
Our leading finance recruitment agency is based in Limerick, and we have excellent accounting and finance jobs in Limerick, Clare, and Tipperary. Check out some of our roles in our job portal.
Reach out to the team here in Martina Quinn Finance Recruitment for the best advice and support in building your finance teams contact us today.